Sumner County HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS are encouraged to participate in our Essay Contest! Applications are welcome from students in public, private or home schools.
Our goal is to encourage students to become aware of what makes a community special. The theme of this year’s essay contest is identity.
For this inaugural year, one winning essay will be awarded $1,000 with an additional $500 going to the student’s public or private school referring teacher for classroom supplies/resources. We look forward to expanding the number of awards in future years from the success of our annual music & fall festival. See below for more details.
Essay Prompt & Parameters
What is the identity of Sumner County? Essays should capture the student’s observations on what makes this area unique and why it’s important to preserve it. Essays must be titled, up to 500 words, typed and double spaced. Essays exceeding the word limit will be automatically disqualified.
- Only one entry per student is allowed.
- Essays must be received by the Preservation Foundation of Sumner County on or before November 30, 2022. No late entries will be accepted.
- Students must be enrolled in a Sumner County public, private or home school association.
- The essay must be the original work of the student.
- Failure to comply with the contest rules will result in disqualification.
Judging & Prizes
One high school senior will be selected as decided by a panel of judges. Judges may also choose to award Honorable Mentions. Names and school affiliation will not be revealed to the judges during the process. Essays will be judged based on content, originality, and creativity. Results will be announced on January 9, 2023.
To submit your essay, compose an email with the following information:
- Student’s Name
- Student’s Email
- Expected Graduation Date
- Essay Title
- Referring Teacher and Teacher Email, where appropriate
Send this information and your attached essay to: [email protected]
If you have any questions, please contact us at this email or (615) 572-7282.